If you’re applying to become a citizen of the United States, the citizenship attorneys at The Romero Firm can help. While the application process may seem relatively simple, the assistance of a highly experienced immigration attorney can be very valuable. To begin the process, we’ll take you through all of the steps, and you’ll receive the expert advice from some of the best immigration lawyers available.
The first step is to understand the requirements that you must meet in order to become a United States citizen, unless your case fits into certain exceptions. To meet these requirements, you:
- Must have been a permanent resident of the United States for a minimum of 5 years (3 years if you were petitioned by a U.S. citizen spouse)
- Must have lived “continuously” in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the filing of your citizenship application (or 3 years if you were petitioned by a U.S. citizen spouse)
- Must be of good moral character
- Must have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government
- Must be able to read, write, and speak basic English
Once you understand these requirements, a citizenship lawyer in our office will review your case and assess your eligibility to apply for citizenship. We will also determine if your case fits into any applicable exceptions. Sometimes, an unexpected obstacle, such as a past criminal conviction, can delay or prevent your ability to become a U.S. citizen. Our team of citizenship attorneys is here to help you every step of the way. We can help avoid unnecessary delays or mistakes that may impact the application process.
Contact us today to get started.